Alan Matthews is the father of the Matthews family.
Mother: Bernice Matthews
Spouse: Amy Matthews
Children: Cory Matthews (son), Morgan Matthews (daughter), and Joshua Matthews (son)
Sibling: An unnamed sister
Grandchildren: Elliott Matthews (grandson), Riley Matthews (granddaughter), and Louis Matthews (grandson)
- Worked as a grocer at the supermarket, where he'd worked since he graduated from high school.
- Also spent some time in the Navy, where he won 2nd place in the U.S. Navy Boxing Championship.
- Married Amy at a young age and had Eric soon thereafter.
- Won an award for being an outstanding grocer, then quit and opening his out nature store.
- Hired Eric to work in his store with him.
- Feuded with Cory & Eric about their relationships with him in "Raging Cory"
- Experienced a mid-life crisis when Amy was pregnant with Joshua
- Fought with Cory about his living situation after Cory & Topanga got married, for he refused to put them up when they had no home.
- Cory later thanked him, because him & Topanga getting through that together bonded them and Alan knew that.
- Stayed in Philadelphia when his 2 oldest sons moved to New York City