|By Hook or By Crook|
|Original Airdate||February 17, 1995|
|Written by||Jeff Menell|
|Directed by||David Trainer|
|Guest starring|| Herschel Sparber as Uncle Mike|
Terri Ivens as Torie Hart
Eric and Jason are planning a huge trip to Europe in the summer. Alan says that he has just received a note from Feeny saying that Eric is failing European History. He tells Eric that unless he gets a B average, he will be going to summer school and not to Europe.
At school, Shawn tells Topanga that Cory is unwell. Mr. Turner comes in and reveals that he has to take the bus as his motorcycle has been run over. Shawn offers the services of his Uncle Mike's motorcycle repair shop.
In Eric's history class, Feeny tells the class they have a test on Thursday on the French Revolution. Eric and Jason suggest to Feeny that if he gave them B's in the next couple of tests, they will be inspired to work hard to maintain that grade. Instead, Feeny suggests that they study for the tests and recommends a tutor, Torie Hart, who is Feeny's very attractive teaching assistant.
After school, Topanga brings Cory his homework for the day, and finds out he has mono "as in the kissing disease" and jealously demands to know who Cory has been kissing. Cory avoids answering.
For their first tutoring session, Torie gives Jason a large history book to read for the evening and and discuss in the next session. When Eric comes in she points out that his history essays are completely inaccurate and suggests they move on to somewhere more comfortable to discuss them.
Meanwhile, Mr. Turner takes his bike to Uncle Mike's repair shop (where Shawn is also working) and arranges to have it repaired for $300.
Torie takes Eric to Chubbie's and makes a move on him. She then offers to give him the answers to the test. Later, Jason and Eric have just taken the test and are discussing how hard it was. Eric says it was so hard he left half of it blank and tells Jason that Torie had offered him the answers but he did not take them because that would be cheating. Mr. Feeny comes back with the grades - Jason has a B and Eric has an A-. Eric goes to Torie for an explanation and finds out Torie had filled in the answers. Eric is disappointed because he wanted to earn the grade himself.
Mr. Turner goes to collect his bike and finds that Uncle Mike has made it "like new, better than new" but charges him $1,500. Shawn intervenes and threatens his uncle, which makes him proud, so he keeps his word and charges $300.
Late at night, Eric is actually studying history. He decides to call Torie, and asks for the areas to study but Torie gives him the answers to the test instead. After the test, Eric goes home and his parents, having found out from Mr. Feeny that Eric's average has gone up a full grade, have bought him a back pack for his trip to Europe. Feeling guilty, Eric goes back to school to see Mr. Feeny and confesses to having cheated. Torie comes in and when she finds out that Eric has confessed, assumes that he also told Feeny that she gave him the answers. Feeny therefore finds out and gives Torie a lesson on the importance of respecting students and developing their potential instead of just writing them off.
At the end of the episode, Topanga visits Cory and reveals that she has worked out that Cory caught mono from a guy called Steve Nelson sneezing on him in Chemistry. Cory continues to try and make Topanga jealous by claiming that he was making out with a girl at the time, and tricks Topanga into confessing that she likes him.
- Ben Savage as Cory Matthews
- Rider Strong as Shawn Hunter
- Will Friedle as Eric Matthews
- Danielle Fishel as Topanga Lawrence
- William Daniels as George Feeny
- Anthony Tyler Quinn as Jonathan Turner
- Betsy Randle as Amy Matthews
- William Russ as Alan Matthews
- Terri Ivens as Torie
- Herschel Sparber as Uncle Mike
- In this episode Cory and Shawn have minor roles in two separate side stories, and the main characters are Eric and Mr. Feeny.
- About halfway through the episode, when Torie tells Eric she filled in the answers on his test, they are standing in the hallway with a Sex Ed poster in the background. At first it appears as though someone has drawn on the poster, then later the poster appears normal, and right before the end of the scene it has been drawn on again. The drawn on poster says "Sex, Ed?".
- Eric's tutor has the same last name as Riley's friend, Maya Hart, in Girl Meets World.
- Ben Savage/Cory Matthews' voice is noticeably a tad bit deeper in this episode.