February 21, 1934
June 3, 2010
Actress, comedienne, author
- She was of Irish and Choctaw descent.
- She and her family were Methodists. 
- She began her acting career in off-Broadway performances before her Broadway debut.
- She also played Vivian Harmon on Maude, Fran Crowley on Mama's Family, and Blanch Devereaux on The Golden Girls.
- She was a vegetarian and a supporter of PETA.
- Her awards include: an Obie Award for off-Broadway production in 1969, an Emmy Award in 1987 for Outstanding Lead Actress, a Golden Apple Award for Female Star of the Year in 1986, and TV Land Awards for Quintessential Non-Traditional Family in 2003 and for Pop Culture in 2008.