R"You're Cory, I'm Shawn, just like it's always been. What else do you need to know?"
- - Shawn Hunter
Shawn Patrick Hunter is the life-long best friend of Cory Matthews.
Shawn is a bit of a huge trouble maker, it gives him a "bad boy" image and a bit of a popularity boost. He is a good friend to Cory and tries to be a good brother to Jack. Compared to Cory, Shawn usually has an opposite opinion, view, and personality. Of all the characters, he seems to be the one put through the most loss (including his girlfriend, Angela, and his father, Chet, who left him, and died shortly after coming back).
Shawn along with his twin sister Emma-Caroline was born to Chet Hunter and a stripper, who left shortly after Shawn was born. So his father fell in love with and married a woman named Virna, giving Shawn a mother. Shawn had a step brother named Eddie (although he grew up believing Eddie was his half brother) and a sister Stacy, both who no longer exist in continuity. Shawn also has a half brother named Jack (same father, different mother) Shawn had a mother who always ran away (later found out that Virna was not his biological mother), and a father who was always disappearing.
In the first season, Shawn is shown to be the best friend of Cory. The subject of his family is slightly touched upon, focusing mainly on the difficulty between his father and stepmother. Shawn mentions having a sister in an early episode.
Entering high school (7th grade), Shawn gains a reputation around school for being a player, and becomes the most popular guy in the school. This affects his friendship with Cory, as Cory is quite jealous of all the attention Shawn is constantly being shown at school. However, we learn that is the exact opposite at home. Later in the season, Shawn's mother, Virna, abandons him and leaves him homeless. His father, Chet, takes off after her, leaving Shawn alone. Shawn moves in with the Matthews', but doesn't take well to following their rules, and runs away. This gets him in trouble with the law, as he was planning on vandalising the school. The cops drop him off with his teacher, Jonathan Turner, who lets him stay the night. Back at the Matthews', it's revealed that Chet will not be returning for a while. Alan and Amy tell Jonathan that they do not want Shawn living with them. Shawn overhears, and feeling unwanted by everyone, he decides to run away. Jonathan then offers for Shawn to come and live with him, and Shawn accepts.
Shawn is adapting well to living with Mr. Turner, and having a constant authority figure in his life. But as time passes, he begins to feel like a guest in his home, and runs away to go to Europe for self discovery. Cory talks him out of it, and while Shawn agrees, he still feels lonely. To get rid of the feeling, he buys a pet pig to replace Cory (after he starts spending more time with Topanga) as his best friend. Topanga is outraged and demands that Shawn return the pig. He is hesitant, but in the end, Shawn realizes it's the right thing to do. Topanga confesses that she does care about him and would like to be his friend. Throughout the season, Shawn dates more and more girls, until a nice girl stands up to him and dumps him. Shawn is in shock, and Cory and Topanga tell him that he needs to stop fooling around with so many different girls, and commit. He attempts to, but fails. In the season finale, Chet returns, and asks Shawn to move back in with him. Shawn, thinking his home life is finally repaired, is overjoyed and agrees
Shawn and Cory discover that Virna is back in town, and try to convince her to move back in. She tells them that she will, only if Chet changes his behavior, and he promises to do so. Shawn's depression is finally lifted, his family back together. However, when his father gets a job as the school janitor, and Shawn gets bullied because of it, it causes more problems. He goes to talk to his mother, and she tells him that is proud of Chet. Shawn accepts this, but Chet quits to keep from embarrassing him. Even though Verna has promised to stay, she leaves her family again for unexplained reasons. We see Shawn become affected by this when he starts feeling like a failure, and joins a cult to try to 'feel' something. But when Mr. Turner goes into a coma, Shawn is forced to re-evaulate himself, and leaves the cult.
In the season premiere, Shawn's half brother, Jack returns after being absent from his life. Shawn does not take well to this, but Cory convinces him to try to get along,with Jack since he is Eric's roommate. Following this, Chet kicks Shawn out, and demands that he go and live with Jack. Sometime during this, Chet skips town again, leaving an underage Shawn on his own once more. After Topanga mentions to Shawn that he needs to start getting serious, he and Cory find the purse of an unnamed girl. Shawn sets out a mission to find the girl, and her interests force him to realize that he does want an intellectual relationship, and not just a physical one. He falls in love with Angela Moore, and the two date for the majority of season 5. They get into a fight, when Shawn starts drowning his sorrows in alcohol, and pushes Angela in anger. He apologizes, and their friendship is resolved. They break up for a short while when Shawn's exes tie him up out of revenge. He tells them that he didn't mean to hurt them like he did, and while Angela is impressed, it doesn't do much for them. The two get back together sometime before prom. Shawn worries that he will not graduate high school, and while Topanga helps him study, he only passes by a few points.
Shawn gets scared of his serious relationship with Angela, and breaks up with her. Cory and Topanga try to get them back together once learning that they are still in love with each other. Shawn's father Chet comes back to town and promises to stay but Shawn doesn't believe him because he has made that promise so many times before only to take off again, During an argument with Shawn, Chet suffers a heart attack and is rushed to the hospital. Shawn manages to make amends with Chet before he dies. A few days later, while cleaning out his dad's trailer, Shawn finds a letter to Chet from Jack's stepfather and discovers that Chet went to him for help to pay for Shawn's college fund and is outraged because he is not one to recieve charity, but eventually realizes that Jack's stepfather was trying to help. Shawn then decides to go on a road trip and takes Cory along with him, the two stop at a truck stop where Chet frequently stopped at and discovers that his dad was proud of him and talked about him a lot. Shawn then reveals that he won't be returning and convinces Cory to let him go, Shawn is then visited by the ghost of his dad and Chet tells Shawn that he will always be with him and Shawn drives off to his uncertain future. A few days later, Shawn returns when Cory's younger brother Joshua is born premature and may not survive, Shawn tells Joshua about all the good things in life: Family and Friends.
Shawn was the third person who held Cory and Topanga's daughter, Riley, after she was born. He moved away from New York the day after her birth and went on to become a writer and a photographer. He forms a bond of sorts with Riley's best friend, Maya, as they both have a lot in common. Both have had rough upbringings, and neglectful parents.
Son of Chet Hunter.
Half-brother to Jack Hunter.
Twin brother to Emma-Caroline Hunter.
Step-son of Virna Hunter (possibly Cordini because she may be divorced from Chet)
Brother of Stacy Hunter (character no longer exists) via "Cory's Alternative Friends"
Nephew of Mike Hunter
Grand-son of Gertie Hunter
Many other uncles
Biological son of an unknown stripper
Best friend to Cory Matthews
Close friend of Topanga Lawrence-Matthews
Close friend and boyfriend to Ella-Grace Matthews
Friend and ex-boyfriend of Angela Moore
- Attended Elementary with Cory, Topanga Lawrence, and Stuart Minkus.
- Blew up a mail box with a cherry bomb; his first known encounter with the law.
- Graduated from John Adams High with his friends, maintained his friendship with Cory.
- Lived with Mr. Turner while his father searched the country for his mother.
- Dated a few girls in high school, including Dana Pruitt, Jennifer Bassett, and ultimately Angela.
- Was reunited with his half-brother, Jack, in season 5.
- Moved in with Jack and Eric Matthews in his senior year of high school.
- Went to Pennbrook with Cory, Angela, and Topanga. Broke up with Angela shortly thereafter.
- He nd Angela had on-and-off feelings for each other, creating a roller coaster relationship during season 6 and season 7.
- Went on the road for two days after his father passed away, but later came back when Cory's younger brother Joshua Gabriel Matthews was born.
- Shawn was constantly dating older people while he was in Middle School (up to 7 years older than him) which concerned Cory.
- Was heartbroken when Angela moved to Europe with her father (supposedly for a year)
- Moved to New York City with Cory, Topanga, and Eric.
- Guest star on Girl Meets World, starting with Girl Meets Home For the Holidays, and continuing on into later episodes.
- Grandpa Shawn (Breaking Up is Really, Really, Really Hard to Do)
- Shawnzie Hunterelli (I Was a Teenage Spy)
- Veronica Wasboiski (Chick Like Me)
- Young Shawn (It's Not You... It's Me)
- Killer Shawn (And Then There Was Shawn)
- Schneider (Eric Hollywood)
- Future Shawn (Seven the Hard Way)
- Isaac "Goodshot" Kelly (As Time Goes By)
- Frog Shawn (The Witches of Pennbrook)
- Shawn seems to have a sweet tooth. He states in "Singled Out" that he was watching CNN because they suckered him in with a story on cake. He also attended Feeny's class for studying on SAT because he promised there would be cake and when he does attend the class, he can be seen eating cake and he stated he gained 15 pounds from the class but passed.